THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX
· Work to develop solid and professional contacts while you are a student at Penn State Shenango.
· Keep an open mind and a willingness to meet new people.
· Opportunities to connect with others in your field of interest are plentiful and varied. Remember college has no boundaries...think outside of the box.
· Be creative when making the proper connections. For example, get involved with Alumni Relation events, business panel discussions and community projects to name a few.
Penn State Networking Resources: LionLink is a database of alumni who have volunteered their time to serve as a networking resource for students and other alumni.
To register for LionLink, please go to http://www.pennstateshenangoalumnisociety.org/
Request Form for Faculty Recommendations
To request a letter of recommendation from faculty — Click on http://www.registrar.psu.edu/ and go to student forms.
Tips on Choosing References
- Have a clear job objective in mind prior to requesting someone to represent you as a reference.
· Consider how a potential reference knows you, your work and your work ethic.
· Prepare your request when asking a person to be a reference on your behalf by stating your career objective and the relevance of their support in relationship to the objective.
· Choose three people who know you professionally and/or personally that can attest positively to your character, work ethic, skill and value to the job.
· Give a copy of your resume to your references and describe the job that you have applied.
· Research the company and the duties of the position, and offer this information to your references, so they may better represent you.
· Request a copy of the recommendation letter your references send on your behalf to keep in your files.
· Follow up with a thank you note to your references and keep them in the loop as to your success.
More Useful Information:Check out the new Job Choices 2012-2013 edition to view hot careers and more.
Job Choices 2012-2013 Website
Job Choices 2012 offers FREE online versions of their magazine. Be sure to check these out below: