Cover and Correspondence Letters
The job search process begins and ends with professional letters.
Letters in the job search process include:
- Cover Letters
- Inquiry Letters
- Thank You Letters
- Acceptance Letters
- Letters of Regret
Cover Letter and E-Mail Writing Tips
- Write it yourself, in your own words. Use sample letters only as a guide.
- Decide your purpose in writing and plan accordingly.
- State your intent in the first paragraph, then use facts to support your interest giving value to your request.
- Keep your letters warm, but professional. Avoid being overly familiar in tone. Remember that business letters are formal.
- Write clearly and simply. Keep your thoughts focused and concise.
- Be positive in content, tone, word choice and expectations.
- Use an active voice and action verbs in your writing.
- Keep the font standard and always check for errors prior to sending.